Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Flight Chronicles - Simulation

Well, my heli is still down. So, while I am waiting to get new parts, I have been doing some simulated flying. While it is not nearly as enjoyable or satisfying as the real thing, it certainly shows me where I am still lacking in skill. Which in my case includes almost everything from take off to landing. Well, o.k, not quite that bad, but I have a lot of things to learn yet. My hovering is coming along nicely. Unfortunately, it is too easy, and not very realistic on the simulator, but it did help me orient my controls to my heli, so it has been very helpful. To get that unstable hovering simulation, I manually injected some movement in to the system, then learned how to correct for it. Now it is automatic on the real thing.

My buddies that already have heli's have been talking about this nose in hover thing, so I have decided to work on that in the simulator. I always thought to myself, how difficult can this be? You just put yourself in to the perspective of being in the cockpit and control it from there, right? After about my umpteenth simulated crash, I figured out how untrue this is, so I have to give those guys some serious credit for this skill. Heck, as soon as I learned to hover, I realized just how difficult that is as well. So kudos to you two for your skillz you have have. I am inspired and will be working hard to fly like Goose from Top Gun. Until then, I guess I will learn to crawl, walk, then Run. Damn this is hard for an impatient cuss like myself.

Back to the simulator,

-JbJ

5 comments:

Keith K. said...

Ha, I said it was hard, I didn't say I knew how to do it! I can hover left and right side in, but not nose in yet. You do that, you can do anything! You'll be the KING OF THE WORLD!

Jim said...

Ahhh, I thought you could hover nose in. My bad. It is real difficult. After the small introduction I have had to flight, I am really impressed with those videos that fly around like nothing. Even the simple flights impress me now. I will get there though. It is my mission.

Jim said...

Simulated right side out is coming along nicely. Time to turn it around and attempt left side out. I am sure this will be much, much more difficult on the real deal though.

Keith K. said...

I found that you can twist your mind around with the chopper when doing left and right side hovering. With nose in, it all goes to hell.

Jim said...

Well, 3 long islands and 2 beers later, this damned nose in hover is not getting any easier. Good thing this is simulated. Cause other wise I would have tripled the cost of this copter. By the way, I have ordered the new parts, they should be here some time early next week. Hopefully I will get this simulated shit down by then.