Monday, June 2, 2008

Flight Chronicles - Must... get... side... in... hover!!!

So this side in hover thing has been getting the best of me. I really want to get it bad. So I took out the simulator late last week and started to do some careless recoveries from left side and right side in hover positions. It is coming along very nicely on the simulator, but it is amazing how different it is on the real thing. I know, I have said that a hundred times already. But it really is.

All right, time to try it out for real. This weekend was a bit windy with a few spurts of calm. I attempted to take advantage of Sunday mornings calm, unfortunately I was on the tail end of it. The first battery went well. I was even starting to do a couple of decent left side in hovers (That is almost 20 seconds in my world). By the time I got to the second battery, the wind had picked up a bit more, which with my size heli doesn't require a lot. I decided that maybe the wind was a bit much when I had the forward pitch cranked all the way and yet the helicopter was moving in the opposite direction. I could have given more throttle to compensate, but due to past experiences, I have learned that is bad for a person of my experience. So I packed it up and called it quits. Unfortunately I did not get out again. But fear not, I will not give up.

-JbJ

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You can do it Caleb! I know you can!

Keith K. said...

By trying side-in hovering outside, you are increasing the difficulty factor significantly. You don't need that much space to practice side-ins, just do it in the garage or the basement. These little FP helis are OMGWTF PWND by any gust of wind.

Jim said...

No, I don't like flying inside. There may be no wind, but it hurts more when I crash. To many hard things. It is bad. I will be PWND by the \/\/1N|) all day before being PWND by my entertainment center. My garage, well, that is another story. I need a burning party before I start to fly in there.