Sunday, May 18, 2008

Flight Chronicles - Slow Goin'

This flying thing sure takes a lot of super glue, thread, parts, and most of all... patience. Yeah, it is a lot of fun to learn, but man, I want to fly like an eagle. So far I feel more like that fly that keeps beating his head on the glass just trying to get to the other side.

O.K, now that I have that out of my system, I will quit my whining.

It was a little windy today, but I had the urge to fly. So I flew. That is, after I replaced the broken part. It was a good thing I guessed right last time I ordered parts and ordered extra of the right things. So a few minutes after fixing the bird up, I was flying. I have this hover tail in thing down quite well. But the left side in is getting the best of me. Not to mention that the small gusts of wind today made it a terrible day to practice what I don't know. But this evening, right before the sun dropped below the surface, the wind died down, and it was perfect. What did I learn today, well, I have learned not to practice over concrete surfaces or near hard objects, grills in particular. Thankfully the heli bounced off of the grill without injury. Oh, and I also learned that when a small gust of wind comes around, it can have a tendency to take the heli straight up. Yeah, that hurt too.

All right, I need to get back to doing something else unproductive. So that being said, happy flying.

-JbJ

4 comments:

Keith K. said...

The wind is a cruel mistress. I'd fly in the garage until you have more stick time...flying outside is friggin' hard.

Jim said...

Errr, have you seen my garage? That would be like flying the eliminator. The wind wasn't that bad today, just small breezes every now and again. The one just took the heli up up and away. I was really surprised too, because the breeze was fairly small. Besides, I watched a video where a guy flew in really bad winds, after that, I felt I could do anything. Apparently, he has been doing this a little longer than me. I really get why a collective pitch would allow much more control in those situations as well.

Have you had your heli out much lately? Or has flying real planes taken you out of the RC mode?

Keith K. said...

I haven't been flying a whole lot, but the real pilot training isn't the issue. I just need to turn off my PC sometimes and explore the real world.

Unknown said...

Keith: Words... The real world! Blah blah blah...

Joe: Its only a model...

Keith: Shhhh...