Monday, May 19, 2008

Flight Chronicles - Bird gone bad

The chopper has a mind of its own. Flying it is like flying a Boeing 747 without fly by wire technology. As soon as it leaves the ground, it wants to spin, and spin, and spin. It is out of control I tell ya. Any how, I am not sure what is going on, but I think it is time for another major tune up. The last time I did it, it flew like a champ. I fear though, that the tail motor may be on the fritz, it spins up, but it is not holding the tail well. I just hope it is not the gyro unit, it is the most expensive replacement part. I will give it a tune up and see what happens. If not, at least a motor is not difficult to come by.

I'm tired, good night,

-JbJ

6 comments:

Keith K. said...

If it's the tail motor, spend $20 and upgrade to the direct drive tail kit. I'll try to dig up a link for ya.

Keith K. said...

Hmmm, just thought of something. Do you know how to trim the 4-in-1 for yaw? That might be the problem.

Jim said...

I don't get it. Why would the yaw be causing this crazy behavior? I have purchased a new motor and will try that when I get a chance to install it. Eventually I think I will upgrade to the direct drive. But at the moment, a replacement was all Hub had in stock. I need to get this bird in the air.

Keith K. said...

Yaw is the motion of the tail (rotation)...you can adjust the yaw trim via a small tweaker on the 4-in-1. Have you done this?

However, my tail motor didn't last very long either. Give it a few ground strikes while it's near full power and you burn it out before long.

Jim said...

Ah yes, duh. I didn't look in to the proper motions of a helicopter to realize that movement is yaw. Dumb me. Moving beyond my stupidity, I have adjusted that control, in fact that makes me think even more that it must be my tail motor that has gone out. I cranked the gain all the way up a while ago and have been running it with that for a while. So I am assuming it has been going bad for a while. It may have been the hair that was wrapped around the shaft giving it enough resistance in movement to accelerate its demise as well. Any how, I have the new motor, and will be installing it soon, hopefully it runs like a champ again as soon as I get that taken care of.

Keith K. said...

I just wanted to let you know, we're all pulling for you.